26 May 2008

Book review of "Welcome to the World, Baby Girl!"



I have just finished re-reading "Welcome to the World, Baby Girl" by Fannie Flagg. Her narrative style, folksy dialogue, and characterizations are a delight to read. The book jumps back in forth in time much like her well-known novel, "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe". The story is about all American anchorwoman Dena Nordstrom. Dena, or Baby Girl as her cousins from Elmwood Springs call her, seems to have it all: success, money, fame. But underneath it all, she's a mess. She drinks herself to an ulcer and is in denial about her past. When her enemies in Manhattan try to ruin her, she has to face the facts and learn more about her family's hidden history.

The book is divided into four parts, and frankly, I thought the first part was a bit long, and I kept waiting for the story to pick it up in pace a bit. But by the third part, it becomes quite the page turner. You will never see the twist in the end coming, so it is a very satisfying tale.

Am I the only one who thinks Aunt Elner in this book is kind of like Mrs. Threadgoode (played by Jessica Tandy in the movie) from "Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe"?

Overall, I'd rate this book an 9 out of 10 and it is one I'm going to keep on my bookshelf.

No comments: